Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rap Music Today

I was browsing through the blogs feeling uninspired until I cam across a blog that Stan wrote who, by the way, is an amazing rapper y'all. I agree with a lot of the things that Stan is saying in this post, rap music has definitely been looking sorry for the past couple of years. We lived through the "ringtone artists" of 06' and 07', the coming and going of the so-called "hyphy movement," and numerous songs that were accompanied by easy-to-do dances that all came out of Atlanta. In the last couple of years we haven't seen a lot of quality rap music, but I think that a lot of the new artists that are coming up right now show that there is a very promising future for rap. San said:

If rappers would spend a little bit more time on their lyrics, then the whole flow of each song would sound smoother. I notice in many different songs that there could be words replaced that would not only rhyme, but also make more sense. Or I hear some songs that have absolutely no purpose or content at all. For example the rap group young money, as individuals they make more meaningful music, but you put them together as a whole and all they ever sing about is sex, drugs, and money.
I would like to say that I see a lot of very promising artists focusing more on the musical aspect of their raps rather than trying to get the most endorsements or the most notoriety. I think that many rappers and many famous musicians forget that their music is art and are too focused on pleasing their fans or maintaining an image. I see artists like J Cole, Wiz Khalifa, Wale, Kid Cudi, and even Drake doing new and innovative things with their music that I have really come to enjoy (and to add onto Stan's point I like Drake's solo/mixtape music way more than I like his stuff with Young Money). Anyways, rap is starting to get back to the point where artists are using obscure samples, getting back to a more bohemian style, and overall just allowing artists more freedom to try new things.

For me, I listen to music that makes me feel something, whatever that may be.  Sometimes I listen to music like Waka Flocka, Gucci Mane, or Lil B; because that is what I'm feeling at the time. Artists like them, although they might not be the most intellectually stimulating, make me want to sing along to their music and dance. Artists like Kanye West, J Cole, and Blu make me think and make me want to create art of my own. It is really whatever I am feeling at the moment. Sometimes I just want something loud with heavy bass that talks about violence and money and sometimes I want to listen to music that tells a story with sophisticated vocabulary.

The Rap "game" is constantly changing and I'm interested to see how many of this years new artists are going to grow and create in the future. I see originality and musicality becoming important once again within the rap community. It pleases Gina. Yes it does.


















 This is the link to Stan's post, something is wrong with the link when I tried to put it on the other way.

      http://standerson96.blogspot.com/2010/11/musical-artists-need-to-spend-time-more.html

No comments:

Post a Comment