Monday, September 20, 2010

Obsessions, Love and Football

I know a young man, and for the sake of his anonymity I am going to call him Joe. Joe has an abnormal love for football, and since no one seems to think it's strange I am going to take the initiative to analyze his truly bizarre relationship with football.
        
                This kid adores football, it is his lover in (almost) every sense of the word. Joe once told me, and I quote, "I love football as much as I love my mom." Now if you do not find that outlandish you have some issues as well, and I am open to analyze your situation. But if you are a logical human being with common sense you realize that football is something that is supposed to be a recreational activity, not your dearly beloved.

             I love football, I really do. I think it amazing to have the type of dedication that football players attain; but enjoying football and having a deep, thriving, passionate attachment for the sport are completely different. Joe's body has been thwarted and abused by, his one true infatuation, football.  It is domestic violence in its most horrifying stage. He comes to me with hands swollen, knees creaky, and concussions multiplying; yet his love only grows in alarming amounts.

         I see too many young people in predicaments similar to Joe's and it is not just football doing the damage. Basketball, soccer, volleyball, track, dancing! These are the culprits! I am not an athlete; I will never be able to understand what it means to truly love a sport, but I cannot love anything/anyone that does not love me back and these sports don't seem to be loving its athletes back...at least not in Joe's case. Maybe one day I will join a sport and form a deep undying love (which is highly unlikely) but until that day I will remain bewildered by Joe and all of the many Joe's out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment