Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DONE!

The story of the Garcia Girls is one that many described as boring or having no climax. Although I identify and agree with many of these readers I think that there is a lot to be said about the book, in particular, it's ending.

When I got to the ending I was dissatisfied, confused, and upset with how the book ended. All I could think was, "a cat...seriously? Is this a joke?" yet I think that a large portion of the story is missing which is something that I have not encountered in other books. This story is not laid out for it's reader which caused a lot of confusion while reading it because I think that the vignettes were very choppy and scattered and left a lot tomthe imagination.

When reading the first portion of the book I expected a lot of explanation in the parts to come. Explanation as to why the Garcia De La Torre family left the Dominican Republic, why Yolanda had returned after so many years, how have the relationships between the characters formed, and what are some traits of the characters. Now that I have finally read all of the story I still feel that these questions of mine have not been answered which leaves me in a position to create stories for when Alvarez lacks explanation. Alvarez's form of writing is one that is definitely interesting yet it is very hard to analyze, in this situation, the mystery of the story has left us confused and irritated rather than inquirous.

No comments:

Post a Comment